Tourism Nanaimo is currently recruiting for a new Executive Director.
Please see the advert below for more details and how to apply.
|Position:||Executive Director||Reports to:||Board of Directors|
|Location:||Currently Remote (Will be required to be in office at a later date)||Direct Reports:||(2-4 FTE, up to 12 seasonal staff)|
|Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director of Tourism Nanaimo is responsible for setting the strategic direction and overseeing the day-to-day operations of Tourism Nanaimo. The core areas of focus include destination sales, marketing, and media relations, enhancing destination development, and visitor services. The position requires building strong relationships with the local, provincial, and national tourism industry associations and partners, as well as various levels of government.|
The Executive Director will be an Ambassador of the organization and the community at large by promoting an environment of inclusivity, collaboration, accountability, innovation, and support for economic, social, and environmental sustainability.
The incumbent will demonstrate an advanced level of strategic planning, destination marketing, team leadership, financial management, industry engagement, stakeholder relations and internal reporting skills and experience.
|Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):|
|Relationship Management and Leadership:|
• In collaboration with the Board of Directors, sets the strategic direction and business plan for Tourism Nanaimo, including organizational goals, objectives, and specific business line strategies
• Engage, build, and maintain positive working relationships with the Tourism Nanaimo Board and committees, Nanaimo Hospitality Association, stakeholders, funding partners, and government agencies
• Connect regularly with the media, stakeholders, industry partners and local governments to share updates and information on tourism-related opportunities and impacts
• Provide guidance, feedback, and advice to the Tourism Nanaimo Board, City of Nanaimo and other partners on issues management, policies and plans related to tourism, meetings, events, and sport tourism in Nanaimo and beyond
• Represent Tourism Nanaimo at industry events, and/or committees/boards
• Report quarterly to the City of Nanaimo and present annual business plan for Council consideration
• Develop and implement a destination strategy, effectively allocating resources and aligning community and regional plans
• Stay informed regarding market trends and research
Destination Sales & Marketing
• Support the preparation of destination proposals, bids, and funding applications
• Together with the Destination Sales Manager, develop, monitor, and implement the destination sales strategy and marketing plans reporting regularly on KPIs, and metrics to the board, meetings & events advisory committee, and industry
• Work collaboratively with funding and destination partners to leverage provincial funding opportunities (e.g., Coop funds)
• Leverage relationships, networks, and contacts to gain support, sponsorship, participation, and exposure for community events
• Works closely with staff in the City of Nanaimo for major events planning
• Ensure accurate destination brand messaging, brand representation and brand alignment
• Work collaboratively with other Vancouver Island DMO’s on like initiatives
• Manage daily operations of Tourism Nanaimo including managing team members (1 – 2 currently), marketing initiatives and financial controls/obligations
• Oversee visitor servicing operations and/or contracts
• Provide quarterly and annual reports (or as requested) on identified KPIs, including updated strategies, status of programs and projects, and budgets (planned versus actual)
• Work closely with the Nanaimo Hospitality Association (NHA) to develop/leverage campaigns, sales strategies, tactical plans, related to the allocation of MRDT funds
• With a destination management lens, monitor visitor comments, concerns, complaints, and address/action accordingly
• Develop and implement a three-year destination strategy as approved by the Board of Directors
• Ensure alignment of Tourism Nanaimo annual and tactical plans with overall City Strategic Initiatives such as the Doughnut Economic Framework and the City Plan
• Ensure internal systems and processes are in place including IT, payroll, and database management
• Monitor budget, expenditures, internal controls, and cash flow management
• Prepare annual proposals and final reports to fundings partners (e.g., Coop submission to DBC, annual budget submission to City of Nanaimo)
• Work collaboratively with the Nanaimo Hospitality Association on the annual MRDT tactical plan, and the implementation of the meetings, events, and sport tourism strategies
|Qualifications and Skills:|
• Bachelor’s degree
• Other tourism or events industry designations are an asset (e.g., CDME, CAE, CMP, CMM)
• Combination of 3 – 5 years leadership experience and education
• Holds a valid passport (or is eligible to obtain one).
• Knowledge and/or experience working in a destination marketing organisation and/or non-profit organisation.
• Must be legally able to work in Canada.
• Strong presentation skills with the confidence to present to senior officials such as the Board of Directors, government, and large public groups (in-person or virtual) etc.
• Experience in destination sales, including developing bids/proposals for city-wide meetings, events, or sport events
• Experience writing funding proposals
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of stakeholders with varied agendas
• Demonstrates influence with the ability to gain buy-in from the Board of Directors, key stakeholders, and staff
• Understanding of BC Employment Standards, HR best practices, and strong leadership abilities
• Experience with payroll
• Proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, industry partners, and non-traditional partners
• Able to manage multiple competing projects, meet deadlines and prioritize workloads
• Superior problem-solving and strategic thinking skills
• Strong research, analytical, and program and time management skills
• Experience developing and implementing brand and organizational strategies, budgets, and achieving results
• Experience working with government/ministry offices
• Proficient with MS Office Suite of Applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word) and database experience
Some travel is required with this position.
The successful candidate must live in the Nanaimo area (between Duncan and Comox Valley) or be willing to relocate to the area within the probationary period. Relocation assistance may be provided.
|Tourism Nanaimo offers:|
|• Highly competitive total compensation package with a salary $90,000 – $110,000|
• RRSP matching
• Extended health, medical and dental benefits
Tourism Nanaimo promotes diversity, inclusion, and equity across the organization. All qualified applicants will be given fair and equal consideration regardless of ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, culture, disability, nation of origin, age, or religion.
|Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Any questions about the position should also be directed to this email address.|
Please note: We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Tourism Nanaimo, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Download a printable PDF of this advert here: