Nanaimo’s locals are the experts when it comes to showcasing the Harbour City, and we’d love to see what you’ve been capturing! As part of our stakeholder event on March 22, Tourism Nanaimo will be hosting a photo showcase at White Sails Brewing. We will shortlist a selection of the best #ExploreNanaimo captures, put them on display and announce the winner at the event! We’ll even purchase the rights for the winning photo at $250 CDN, and the winner will go home with a #ExploreNanaimo prize package worth another $250 CDN.
How to Enter
How do you enter? Submit your favourite #ExploreNanaimo photo to Hannah via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), subject line #ExploreNanaimo Photo Showcase. Tourism Nanaimo will select their favourite photos for display, one of which will be the winning photograph.
We’d also like to invite community members, photographers, and tourism stakeholders to come to the event on March 22 from 4:30-6:30 pm. Browse through the winning photos, network, and enjoy the company!
- Must be provided in JPEG format with high quality compression. We will print high resolution posters of the shortlisted photos.
- The photographer must be the author(s) of the pictures submitted in his/her/their name.
- The photographer, or the agent or representative entering on their behalf, must be the copyright holder(s) or have been authorized by the copyright holder(s) to submit the pictures.
- Pictures must not show the name of the photographer, agency, or publication, or any other information (these details can be included in the metadata of the pictures but must not be visible on the picture itself).
- The following are not accepted:
- Polyptychs (diptychs, triptychs, and so forth) and composite multiple exposures.
- Stitched panoramas, either produced in-camera or with image editing software.
- Photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable or inappropriate content, as determined by Tourism Nanaimo in its sole discretion, are ineligible for this contest.
- Tourism Nanaimo follows the brand guidelines provided by Destination BC.
- Tourism Nanaimo will not feature any photos that do not abide by the following:
- Lifejackets and PFDs are visible on all persons in a vessel on the water (i.e. paddleboard, canoe, kayak, boat, etc.)
- Skiers and snowmobilers are wearing backpacks if they are in a backcountry area
- Skiers, snowmobilers, bikers, and rock climbers are wearing helmets
- No public drinking is visible and there is no evidence of public drinking (i.e. drinking on beaches, parks, etc.)
- Dogs are in areas where dogs are permitted (i.e. Provincial, National, and public parks)
- Dogs must be on leash unless in a designated off leash area
- There are no recognizable faces; side profile or back of head is fine
- Content is not shot on private property that’s not rentable (i.e. someone’s family cabin)
- Tents are in legal camping areas
- People are in legal hiking areas and on designated hiking/walking/biking trails
- Campfires are in a legal fire area
- Does not feature unsafe activities (i.e. backflips off rocks or cliffs)
- Does not feature illegal activities
- If content is shot with a drone, the content captured is in legal area for shooting with drone and was captured with all proper permissions and licences
- It is an actual place/experience a traveller to Nanaimo could have
OFFICIAL RULES & REGULATIONS OF Tourism Nanaimo’s #ExploreNanaimo Photo Showcase Contest
THE “#ExploreNanaimo Photo Showcase Contest” CONTEST IS OPEN ONLY TO CANADIAN RESIDENTS WHO HAVE REACHED THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THEIR PROVINCE AT THE TIME OF ENTRY. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE OF THE OFFICIAL RULES & REGULATIONS AS OUTLINED BELOW.
ENTRY PERIOD: The Contest begins at 12:00 PM PST Friday, March 2, 2017 and ends at 11:59 PM PST March 16, 2018.
METHOD OF ENTRY: Email one (1) photo of Nanaimo to email@example.com. One entry per person.
If the #ExploreNanaimo Photo Showcase Contest is cancelled, modified, suspended or terminated, which Tourism Nanaimo reserves the right to do at its discretion, if factors beyond its control make the contest unable to be administered as planned, notice will be posted on TourismNanaimo.com in addition to Tourism Nanaimo’s Instagram account.
ELIGIBILITY: The #ExploreNanaimo Photo Showcase Contest is open to Canadian residents who have reached the age of majority in their province at the time of entry, except for employees of Tourism Vancouver Island, Tourism Nanaimo and members of their immediate families. By entering the #ExploreNanaimo Photo Showcase Contest, entrants agree to comply with and be bound by these Official Rules & Regulations and the decisions of Tourism Nanaimo which are final and binding in all respects. Failure to comply with these Official Rules & Regulations may result in disqualification from the #ExploreNanaimo Photo Showcase Contest.
PRIZES: There is one (1) prize available to be won, consisting of:
- Purchasing the rights to the winning photograph for $250 CDN. Rights are as follows:
- a) Non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, assignable, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify and distribute the Produced Material; and,
- b) The right to sublicense to third-parties the right to use, reproduce, modify and distribute the Produced Material.
- An #ExploreNanaimo Prize Package valued at $250 CDN.
Total value: $500 (CDN)
Lost or stolen prizes will not be replaced. Prize does not include any other item or expense not specifically described in these Official Rules & Regulations, and all additional expenses including, without limitation, travel expenses, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winner. Prize may not be transferred or assigned except to a surviving spouse living in the same household. Only listed prize will be awarded and no substitutions or cash equivalents or redemptions will be made. Winner agrees to accept the prize “as is”, and entrants hereby acknowledge that Tourism Nanaimo has neither made nor is in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prize, including express warranties (if any) provided exclusively by a prize supplier that are sent along with the prize.
SELECTION OF WINNERS: The winner of the prize will be selected by a committee before March 22, 2018, from all eligible entries received at the time of each draw. All decisions of the contest sponsor are final. The winner will be announced on March 22, 2018.
Tourism Nanaimo reserves the right to disqualify any participant or winner and may refuse to award any prize to a person who is ineligible or has violated any rule, gained an unfair advantage in participating in the Contest or obtained winner status using fraudulent means. Odds of winning a prize depend on the number of eligible entries received. The short-listed candidates will be notified by email and must meet all eligibility requirements. The winner will be announced at the Engage 360° after event on March 22, 2018.
Return of a prize or prize notification as undeliverable, or inability of Tourism Nanaimo to contact a potential winner by these means within forty-eight (48) hours of selection, may result in disqualification of such potential winner, and an alternate winner may be selected by Tourism Nanaimo, at their discretion. In the event a winner declines a prize, Tourism Nanaimo may, at its discretion, select an alternate winner.
All selected entrants, upon notification, must, unaided, correctly answer a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question, and sign and return liability/publicity release and prize acceptance forms, before being declared a winner. In the event that a selected entrant is unable to answer the skill-testing question correctly, Tourism Nanaimo shall have the right to disqualify said entrant and to select the next eligible entrant, and Tourism Nanaimo shall be fully and completely released and discharged from any liability or responsibility in this regard.
PUBLICITY, PRIVACY & PRIZE NOTIFICATION: Except where prohibited by law or regulation, by submitting an entry, entrant grants Tourism Nanaimo a perpetual, royalty-free license to use his/her name, photograph, voice, and likeness in connection with the promotion of this and other Contest, and entrants waive any and all claims and/or rights to receive any royalties or other compensation for Tourism Nanaimo’s use thereof, unless prohibited by law. Entrants’ information that Tourism Nanaimo collects will not be disclosed to third parties.
GENERAL CONDITIONS: The submission of an entry is solely the responsibility of the entrant. Only eligible entries actually received within each Entry Period will be included in the prize drawings. For purposes of these Official Rules & Regulations, “receipt” of an online entry occurs when an image has been submitted via email and received. Any automated computer receipt (such as one confirming delivery of e-mail) does not constitute proof of actual receipt by Tourism Nanaimo of an entry for purposes of these Official Rules & Regulations. Tourism Nanaimo and their respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliates are not responsible for late, lost, delayed, unclear, unintelligible, incomplete, misdirected or ineligible entries, which will be disqualified, or for technical, hardware, software or telephone malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest which may limit the ability to play or participate, or by any human error that may occur in the processing of the entries in the Contest. Any person attempting to defraud administrator or sponsor or in any way tamper with, damage, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest will be disqualified.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY & RELEASE: By participating in the #ExploreNanaimo Photo Showcase Contest, entrants agree to indemnify and hold harmless Tourism Nanaimo and its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, assigns, agents, representatives, officers, directors, shareholders, and employees (collectively, “Releasees”) from and against any and all injuries, losses, damages, claims, and actions of any kind arising from or relating to participation in the Contest, or acceptance, possession, use, misuse, or non-use of the prize that may be awarded, including, without limitation, actual, direct, indirect, consequential, punitive, special, or other damages.